Friday, April 9, 2010

Note To Self: Tomorrow, I'm making this made up recipe I just thought up

Stuffed Jalepeno Peppers (with hummus) and Zesty pasta Sauce (simmered in Olive oil) and Rottini tricolored pasta...with homemade bread. If only I had some wine to wash it down with...

Vegetarian Organic Blog is an awesome blog to check out, btw. I like incorporating their recipes with the evil unmentionable I consume (meat). In my opinion, we are consumer creatures. That's our brand of fauna, the one we belong to, our animal groupe. What the ability to multiply at any level, molecular, though cell multiplication, physically, grow, tall, thin, fat, procreating requires is for us to devour mass amounts of resources.

The opinion among vegetarians seems to be that we do not have the right, as 'fellow' animals, to decide the fate of chicken, beef, lamb, fish, shrimp etc. , who I believe I'm assuming are no better than us, are entitled to life etc., etc. ...

Sorry, I'm having troubles concentrating. And yes, my response is going to be assholey, because every time I ponder on this issue, I can't help but feel like vegetarians don't have a leg to stand on, with all the veggies they repeatedly massacred. Coaxed to grow in controlled conditions, force-fed compost, sun, water only to be ripped from the all-engulfing Earth to be desecrated, herbs and plant-crotch-fruit alike, paraded and sold in markets THEN DEVOURED!

OH! WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE VEGGIES!!!

I wholeheartedly agree that animal husbandry now-a-days is all kinds of fucked and dementedly twisted. Cattle forced to cannibalize cattle, crowded in tight spaces, defecating on top of each other, then slaughtered and their corpses dragged in the machines, covered in E.Coli laced shit is about as fucked up as it gets.

Watching Food Inc seriously made me gag. But that's not how I grew up seeing animals being raised. While we lived in Senegal, around my seventh year, we had a little shed converted into a den/house/coop. In there, we 'housed' Senegalese Lion Chicken, or at least that's what I remember the caretaker calling them. I asked him why they were named that, and he told me it was because it was a pride to have this type of chicken in Senegal and they did not usually sell that type of chicken outside of the country.

I still can't tell whether he was bullshitting or not, but I haven't seen that 'species' of chicken since I left Senegal. They looked like Langshan chickens, a shocking white with a bright red comb, were fucking massive and if left to their own devices, they usually gained the mass of an adult turkey before they died of heart failure. Why? Because they got so fat their legs wouldn't be able to support their weight anymore. They were fed healthy grain, lots of it.  At night, if it was getting cold, their shed was heated with a small furnace. Their straw was changed quite often. We also had ducks. We built them a pond. There were pigs once. Goats, and a small garden I think my dad had a horse bring manure for. I actually don't remember what that man on the horse came around the house for...

I remember that horse terrified me. But that was our life and I miss it so much. Out of all the countries I've resided in, I miss Senegal the most.

My mom grew our own herbs, we slaughtered our own animals, we had what north Americans call a 'homestead'...except it was staffed. Mom was busy with school, Dad was busy with work and we had nannies. I think that's the life I've wanted ever since I realized I was pregnant with Lilo and at first, oh my god I panicked: we were going to be poor, life was going to be so hard BUT I could take it on. And the more time passes, the more I realise how much I dislike people and I think  boy I can't wait until I've scraped enough to take Lilo and I far away from this shit.

But anyways, back to the rhetoric. I am a carnivore. And that is what I do I eat meat. I've developed a taste for sinew and flesh and I won't relinquish it. I'm not about to say a Na'avi blessing on top of a animal that dies for my consumption but I'll go out of my way to make sure that I place mysef in a position when I'm raising and sacrificing healthy, well-cared-for animals.

That being said, I love, love the Angry Hippie Podcast. But I reserve most of my outrage for the continued abused children on this planet. Animals < Human Children in light of this Omnivores VS Vegans debacle.

Fucks like Peta help reinforce this view day, after day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment