So Caribou is a Canadian mathematician (He's got a Ph.D) who makes music full time now, I guess, and my favorite tracks of his always sound like some form of equation. I admire his work, and while I haven't been a hard-on fan, his new album Swim is quickly changing that.
And of course, there's the hot-nerd thing. It's great music to accompany you on your psychotropically-influenced mind-trips. He reminds me of Kettel and Plaid. Luke LaLonde is doing the vocals for the track above, and it's so pretty...though it sounds like it's just waiting for a dance beat to be added.
I've been meaning to save up money to buy enough audio/visual equipment/software to start a podcast and improve the production quality of my youtube video, but it seems like most of my time is spent in this shitty loop of taking care of Lilo, who's sick all the time now, thanks to daycare, work and gagging on the bullshit Mitch's family spew and I'm full on working on pushing them out of the picture. Enough ugly, time to submerge myself in good things. Happy things. Things that have nothing to do with them! Argh.
But money's going to be tight for a while. I'm trying to get a second job, but have no way to finance babysitting for Lilo. It's making me angry. I want to leave the city. Fucking hate it. It's not just enough that I be financially independent, it never was. I have to wrench myself out of this 9-6 cycle...and while I love my new job at the bakery, I would love to remain with them for as long as possible, I have other plans for Lilo and I, plans that involve a life free of this fucked financial system.
For Lilo...a happy life out of the 'ordinary' is the least she deserves. I was going to head over to the lawyer today, but I'm not in the mood for dealing with this shit right now. My baby's been sick, I'm taking her to the doctor instead and then I'll come back home and do laundry/grill some salmon...seasoned with that basil I've been growing. Then I'll paint and sing Lilo to sleep.
Tomorrow my work week begins anew...that's right I'm remaining in my little home, and the phone constantly rings...Mitch...while Lilo plays in the background her father leaves message after message after message.
For someone who's 'not into me' he sure calls a lot. And I have to usually be the one to remind him of the fact that he has a daughter crawling on this shit-hole of a planet, so no, that's not what his calls are about. I
Other times he makes me incredibly sad. His misappropriated attempts to control the uncontrollable...make me sad.
He can waste his life if he wants to. That's not what I want for myself and I'm no longer willing to be a vilified spectator/participant of his pity-fest/demise.
Btw, Caribou is playing at Republik here, in Calgary, on May 31. Methinks I would like to go...but it's a Monday night. And while that might have not deterred me a few years back, not only do I have a baby to take care of, but work the next day.
Bah. I would love to be a traveling musician. I would take Lilo with me everywhere I go.
No comments:
Post a Comment