I remember when I was younger...jeez, old lady, when i was a teenager, my mother used to drag me to the Salvation Army and I would sit for hours waiting for her to pick yet another dozen mismatched plates and I was embarrassed to be at 'the poor people store'.
I don't think it ever arose from any sense of superiority or malevolence...is just that everyone who walked in there always looked so fucking miserable and I would sit there thinking about boys, and wanting to wear jeans that fit me but I couldn't find jeans that fit me cause I was too fat blah, blah, blah....
Also, the idea of wearing previously worn clothes gave me the eebies when I thought of all the bed-bugs, ticks and unsightly cooties just waiting to latch on me if I dared wearing one of those...
Thank God I grew up.
Back then it was all about having access to a priviledged life, but realizing that I was having problems adjusting to the reality of being a minority leaving in a non-minority neighboorhood, going to a mostly white school and looking in the mirror not understanding why I wasn't attractive by everyone's standard...everyone being non-ethnic.
So of course 13 year old me is ashamed that Mom is obsessed with hoarding decorative plates and the place where she usually lands her jackpots is the local thriftstore.
Back then it was all about having access to a priviledged life, but realizing that I was having problems adjusting to the reality of being a minority leaving in a non-minority neighboorhood, going to a mostly white school and looking in the mirror not understanding why I wasn't attractive by everyone's standard...everyone being non-ethnic.
So of course 13 year old me is ashamed that Mom is obsessed with hoarding decorative plates and the place where she usually lands her jackpots is the local thriftstore.
I can't believe how naive I was.
I also can't believe that what they say about girls becoming their mother is true.
I got 4 wooden bowls, a shell necklace, that cute top and a boîte-à-gris-gris for $11. And it's taking all my will power not to just go back and buy a whole buncha duds that are just going to sit in my closet.
It's getting so sunny here...I'm like Quasimodo hiding in my eight floor grotto wondering if I dare go outside am I gonna melt? I wanna go out all the time now. But I'm almost afraid to.
I also jones for a car...but I don't think getting a clunker is a good idea.
Listen: Cee-lo "Getting Grown"
Listen: Cee-lo "Getting Grown"
No comments:
Post a Comment